Building Inspector


The building inspector addresses particular questions and provide guidance through these circumstances.


Insurance Requirement:

One issue many applicants are unaware of is the insurance requirements contractors need to provide before they are allowed to work within the Village of Pittsford.

New York State mandates that every contractor provide the municipality where they are performing the work, verification that their Workers Compensation Insurance is current, as well as naming that municipality as additionally insured on their liability insurance policies. This protects the Village in case of any accidents where an injury or property damage occur. This is necessary because the Village issues the permit allowing them to perform the work. If a contractor does not have employees, we require that they provide us with a waiver from New York State, attesting to that.


State Code:

The current state building code went into effect on January 1, 2020. The code adopted (with some enhancements) is the International Family of Codes, a model code used in many other states. New York is the 49th state to adopt a model code (Wisconson is the only state that has not replaced its’ state building code). More information on the code is available at the Department of State’s website: 


Our record keeping capabilities was enhanced in 2003 by the purchase of software to record permits, approvals, and violations for all village properties. Staff is able to access property records such as ownership by computer.


Public Hearings: 

Applications are made to the Village Board of Trustees, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, and Historic Preservation Board. These applications include requests for special permits, use variances, area variances, site plan approval, subdivisions, and changes to the exteriors of structures. The Board of Trustees may also amend or enact local laws. These projects have an effect on neighboring properties, and often residents and merchants have concerns that a project may affect the Village environment. Issues such as increased traffic, the impact on parking, and the aesthetics of the Village are often raised. Your input is important and can help the Boards make their decisions.

Notification of pending applications is provided to the community in several ways. Decisions on applications before the Trustees, Zoning, and Planning Boards are made at public hearings. The procedure for notice of a public hearing is regulated by state law and village code. State law requires that a notice be published in the official newspaper of the Village at least seven days before the public hearing. These notices are found in the Brighton-Pittsford Post in the second section under "Legal Notices."

Chapter 145-78 of the Village Code requires the applicant to erect a sign on the subject property at least 10 days before a public hearing. The sign contains the nature of the application and the time and date of the hearing. In addition, the Village Clerk must notify by mail all property owners within 300 feet of the applicant's property.

There is no public notice of applications to the Historic Preservation Board, but a schedule of meetings is available at the Village Office, and an agenda is provided prior to each month's meeting.

You can participate in the decisions of the boards by:

  • Testifying at the public hearing. Hearings are held at the Village Office, 21 North Main St. Most meetings are at 7:30 P.M.
  • Providing your written comments. You may mail your comments to the Village Office before the hearing, fax them (586-4597) up to the day of the hearing, or Present them at the hearing.
  • Telephone comments (586-4332). Village staff will note your concerns and provide them to the appropriate board.
  • E-mail your comments to a board by way of the Village Clerk at


Temporary Signage: 

The Village office receives numerous complaints throughout the year regarding temporary signs. Often the offending sign is placed by a resident or business that was unaware of the applicable sections of the Village Code.

In residential districts, the following signs are permitted:

  • Real estate signs (for sale, lease, or rent). One sign per property is permitted, up to four square feet, no more than five feet high. The sign must be at least ten feet from a lot line and not placed in the right-of-way.
  • Contractor signs up to four square feet while construction is in progress, and not placed in the right-of-way.
  • Garage sale signs while the sale is being held, and not attached to trees or utility poles.
  • Political signs may be erected 90 days prior to an election. They may be six square feet. six feet high, and no closer than ten feet from a lot line. Political signs may not be placed in the right-of-way, and must be removed within seven days of the election.

Businesses may obtain permits for these temporary signs:

  • New retail business or relocation. A temporary sign may be mounted on the building where the business is located. The district determines the size of the sign regulations. Alternately, a portable sign up to six square feet per side may be erected, providing it is not in the public right-of-way. The permit fee is $15.00 and the permit is valid for 90 days.
  • Special sales. A 30-day permit for an advertising sign may be issued. The sign can be up to six square feet. The permit fee is $75.00 for a building mounted sign and $50.00 for a window sign
  • No sign may be attached to a utility pole, light pole, tree, fence, or bridge.

Additional information on temporary signs:

  • Portable (A-frame) signs are not permitted, with the above exceptions.
  • The Village may remove illegal temporary signs. There is a fee to retrieve a sign that has been removed.
  • Signs for civic events are permitted. They may be erected up to 30 days before the event. The maximum size is six square feet.
  • Temporary signs do not require approval by the Historic Preservation Board (HPB).


NOTE: Anyone planning to make changes to the exterior of a building in the Village or altering the environment (changes which can be seen from a street or waterway) should first talk with the Village Office. Plans for many prospective changes must be presented in advance to the Historic Preservation Board (HPB).

Common building forms can be found in the PZBA formsHPB forms  and the Building Inspector sections.

You can also contact our Building Inspector using our form: Questions for the Building Inspector.


recycling is the process of converting waste materials into new materials and objects. The recovery of energy from waste materials is often included in this concept. The recyclability of a material depends on its ability to reacquire the properties it had in its original state.[1] It is an alternative to "conventional" waste disposal that can save material and help lower greenhouse gas emissions. It can also prevent the waste of potentially useful materials and reduce the consumption of fresh raw materials, reducing energy use, air pollution (from incineration) and water pollution (from landfilling).

Recycling is a key component of modern waste reduction and is the third component of the "ReduceReuse, and Recycle" waste hierarchy.[2][3] It promotes environmental sustainability by removing raw material input and redirecting waste output in the economic system.[4] There are some ISO standards related to recycling, such as ISO 15270:2008 for plastics waste and ISO 14001:2015 for environmental management control of recycling practice.

Recyclable materials include many kinds of glass, paper, cardboard, metal, plastic, tires, textiles, batteries, and electronics. The composting and other reuse of biodegradable waste—such as food and garden waste—is also a form of recycling.[5] Materials for recycling are either delivered to a household recycling center or picked up from curbside bins, then sorted, cleaned, and reprocessed into new materials for manufacturing new products.

In ideal implementations, recycling a material produces a fresh supply of the same material—for example, used office paper would be converted into new office paper, and used polystyrene foam into new polystyrene. Some types of materials, such as metal cans, can be remanufactured repeatedly without losing their purity.[6] With other materials, this is often difficult or too expensive (compared with producing the same product from raw materials or other sources), so "recycling" of many products and materials involves their reuse in producing different materials (for example, paperboard). Another form of recycling is the salvage of constituent materials from complex products, due to either their intrinsic value (such as lead from car batteries and gold from printed circuit boards), or their hazardous nature (e.g., removal and reuse of mercury from thermometers and thermostats).

Be an H2O Hero! When you make wise, environmentally friendly decisions, you can protect everyone’s water quality! Better water quality means a cleaner Lake Ontario, safer drinking water and a safer environment for you and your family.